The Flowers of Manchester
Hurdles is a Bury based charity
operating out of the RE:D Centre on Morley Street and supporting children and
young adults with disabilities and additional needs.
Founded 25 years ago, Hurdles is unique in that it is parent run and parent led.
We are the parents/carers of children and young people with disabilities and are
all unpaid volunteers. In addition to caring for our youngsters, we organize all
fundraising and run the charity. Every penny raised is spent directly on
services for the children and young people. We rely completely on our own
fundraising activities and the generosity of folks like you! We are proud and
fortunate that in this our Silver Jubilee year, we are the chosen charity of the
Mayor of Bury.
Amongst our activities, we:-
1. Fund and run an inclusive OFSTED registered pre-school group 5 mornings and 2
afternoons a week;
2. Provide support, practical and emotional, to families with children newly
diagnosed as having a disability;
3. Campaign on disability issues seeking to achieve equality for all;
4. Fund and run the 2 Green Buses which provide transport to and from RE:D
Centre for social activities and trips out;
5. Funds and runs a training project "The Stepping Stones Café" for young people
with learning disabilities. The Café is designed to develop independence and
promote self-esteem, enhance life skills, build confidence and improve
6. Fund and run a weekly social group "Directions" catering for 19+yrs age
7. Organize family days out and group leisure activities during School Holidays.
Many of our children and young people have severe communications difficulties. A
significant number are on the Autistic Spectrum and are non-verbal and many more
have complex needs. At Hurdles, we pride ourselves on excluding no-one and